How does spousal support work in Connecticut?

When you divorce, you might have concerns about maintaining your lifestyle. For example, if you left the workforce to raise children but your spouse remained a high-earner, do you have to move into a small apartment on an entry-level salary? 

In Connecticut, you can request spousal support in this situation under certain circumstances. 

Types of alimony

You can ask for temporary alimony to transition to a single-income household. This type of spousal support ends with the final divorce agreement. At that point, you can request either rehabilitative or permanent alimony. 

Rehabilitative support provides the assistance you need to become financially independent. For example, you can receive this type of alimony while you finish your degree or attend job training courses. 

Connecticut rarely awards permanent alimony. However, you may have a compelling case if you cannot work because of disability or age, especially if your marriage lasted many years. 

Factors in determining support

You must request alimony in your divorce petition or when responding to your spouse’s petition. The judge will review: 

  • Your need for financial assistance 
  • Whether your spouse can afford to support you 
  • An existing child support award, if applicable 
  • The property and debt each of you will receive in the divorce 
  • Your current income and occupation as well as your ability to become self-supporting 
  • Your health and age, as well as the health and age of your spouse 
  • The length of the marriage 
  • Whether the marriage ended because of cruelty, desertion or adultery 

The judge typically establishes an end date for alimony. Payments will also end if you remarry or if your former spouse dies.